Introducing the Ultimate Kids Camping Checklist
As a father of three kids and an experienced camper, I have had plenty of time to come up with a helpful checklist of what to bring camping with kids. Camping with kids is a great experience, full of adventure and lifelong memories – but it can also turn into a nightmare if you don’t have the right items. If you plan to hit the camping scene with your kids in tow, you’ll need the right gear and supplies to ensure that your trip is safe and enjoyable for the whole family. To help, we’ve put together the ultimate kids camping checklist – everything you need for a successful camping trip with kids.
Essential Gear for Camping with Kids
Before you can even start packing for camping with kids, you are going to need the right gear. Sit down and compile a list of camping gear you already own, or check out our recommended gear for camping. Here is a list of essential gear needs:
- Tent. It goes without saying, a tent is the most important piece of camping gear. You’ll need a good tent that is the right size for your family, and tall enough to stand up in.
- Airbeds/Sleeping Bags. Your kids will need airbeds or sleeping bags so that they are comfortable and can get a good night’s sleep.
- Stove and Cooking Gear. If you plan to cook while camping, you’ll need to bring a camping stove, pots and pans, plates, utensils, etc.
- Flashlights/Lanterns. Flashlights and/or lanterns will help guide you when you’re out exploring after dark.
- First Aid Kit. This should include bandages, insect repellent, and any other items you might need if there is an emergency.
These are just a few of the essential items you’ll need to bring camping with kids, but there are plenty of other things to consider as well. Let’s take a look at some of the extras you’ll want to bring on the trip.
Additional Items to Consider
In addition to the essential camping gear, there are some additional items you may want to consider bringing when camping with kids. Here is a list of some items you may want to bring:
- Games and toys. A few games, toys, and activities will keep the kids busy during the day and at night.
- Weatherproof Clothing and Footwear. Make sure the kids have the right clothing and footwear for the weather and terrain.
- Battery-Operated Electronics. Things like e-readers, tablets, and portable DVD players with extra batteries are great for keeping the kids entertained.
- Campsite Chair and/or Hammock. A few camp chairs and/or a hammock will make your campsite more comfortable and enjoyable for the whole family.
When packing for camping with kids, be sure to bring plenty of snacks and drinks because, let’s be real, kids get hungry all the time. Remember to check out our recommended gear for camping.
Tips for Camping With Kids
Camping with kids can be a challenge, but there are things you can do to make it easier. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when camping with kids:
- Set a Schedule. Keep kids on a schedule that is consistent with their normal daily routine.
- Choose the Right Campsite. Make sure you choose a campsite that is best suited to the age and activity level of your kids.
- Let Kids Involved in the Setup. Kids love to be involved in setting up camp and later packing up. Let them help and it will make them feel like they are part of the experience.
- Be Prepared for Rain. Inevitably, it will rain at some point during your camping trip. Make sure you are prepared with rain gear and other necessary materials.
- Bring Entertainment. Games, books, toys, and music can help keep the kids entertained while camping.
Aside from the above tips, there are a few things to remember while camping with kids. Be sure to keep a close eye on them – they can get distracted easily. Bring plenty of water to stay hydrated. And most of all, have fun and enjoy the experience!
Safety Checklist for Camping With Kids
Accidents happen, but kids tend to be more accident-prone than adults. To help ensure that your kids stay safe while camping, here is a list of items you should bring on the trip:
- Sunscreen. Sunscreen is essential for protecting skin from the sun’s harmful rays.
- Insect Repellent. Bring plenty of insect repellent to keep bugs away from your kids.
- Lifejackets. Make sure everyone in the family has a lifejacket when near bodies of water.
- Hat and Sunglasses. A hat, along with sunglasses, will help protect the face from the sun.
- Fire Starting Supplies. Make sure you have a fire starter and the appropriate supplies to safely start and maintain a campfire.
Safety should be your foremost concern when camping with kids, and the above items are essential in helping keep them safe and sound.
Check Out this Video for Even More Ideas
Make sure You Don’t Forget Anything
Camping with kids can be an incredibly rewarding experience, but it can also be overwhelming if you forget necessities. So to make sure you don’t forget anything, here is a comprehensive checklist of what to bring camping with kids:
- Essential Gear: Tent, airbeds/sleeping bags, stove and cooking gear, flashlights/lanterns, and a first aid kit.
- Additional Items: Games and toys, weatherproof clothing and footwear, battery-operated electronics, campsite chair/hammock, snacks and drinks, sunscreen, insect repellent, lifejackets, hat and sunglasses, and fire starting supplies.
- Safety Checklist: Sunscreen, insect repellent, lifejackets, hat and sunglasses, fire starting supplies.
Camping with kids can be a lot of fun, but you must be prepared. So, when it comes to packing, make sure to include the items on this checklist. Here’s to making memories with your kids!