What Do You Need For Car Camping?
Car camping is a great way to get out and explore the great outdoors without the need to lug around a ton of gear. Whether you’re a first-timer or a seasoned veteran, there are some essential items you need for car camping. Here, we’ll go over everything from safety items to entertainment tools — the must-haves that will make your next car camping adventure an enjoyable experience.
Safety is the most paramount priority when camping, regardless of where you’re pitching your tent. Make sure you have these essentials before you head out:
- A first-aid kit: Whether you’re an experienced camper or a newbie, it’s always a good idea to have a well-equipped first-aid kit on hand. Include band-aids, antiseptic, burn lotions, essential oils, and other necessities.
- A fire extinguisher: As much as camping fires can bring a sense of coziness and convenience to a trip, they also come with inherent risks. If you plan on having any type of fire, make sure to have an extinguisher nearby in case of an emergency.
- Headlamps and flashlights: No matter the time of day, having a light source is a must. This is especially true for car camping, as you may not have access to a reliable electrical source.
- Sun protection: Sun protection should never be overlooked, no matter what type of camping you’re doing. Sunscreen, sunglasses, and hats are essential and can help you avoid getting roasted by the sun.
It’s important to be prepared when packing for a car camping trip. Here’s a checklist of items you should never leave without:
- Tent: Depending on the size of your party, the size of the tent you’ll need will vary. If you have a big group, make sure to get a tent with enough space for everyone (plus some gear).
- Sleeping bag and pads: Opt for lighter sleeping pads if weight is a concern, or pick a model with adjustable air chambers for extra comfort. Sleeping bags can also vary significantly in weight and warmth — so be sure to choose accordingly.
- Cooler: Although you won’t need a large, bulky cooler since you’ll have easy access to your vehicle, it’s important to pick one with enough insulation to keep your food and drinks from spoiling.
- Food and drinks: Pick items that are easy to cook and require minimal clean-up. Freeze-dried foods are a great option, as they don’t require refrigeration or cooking and will last a few days. Don’t forget to pack a way to heat and prepare your food, such as a camp stove.
Fun & Entertainment
Car camping trips can be made extra special by bringing along some fun items. Take a look at this list of items to make the most of your car camping adventure:
- Music and games: Take along a few of your favorite music albums, action games, and even a Frisbee or football. Music and games are a perfect way to have some fun in the great outdoors.
- Pop-up chairs: Whether you’re gathering around the campfire, hitting the trails, or taking a breather on the beach, having a comfortable chair to relax in can make your trip all the more enjoyable.
- Books: What’s a camping trip without a good read? If you don’t want to take a physical book, consider downloading some titles on your phone or tablet if you’ll have access to Wi-Fi.
Car camping is a great way to get out and explore the great outdoors without the need to lug around a ton of gear. By packing the right safety items, the right food and drinks, and a few extras for a bit of fun and entertainment, you’ll have everything you need for a successful and enjoyable car camping experience.