A Beginner’s Guide to Using a Coffee Percolator While Camping
Making a hot cup of coffee while out on a camping trip isn’t always as simple as boiling water with a coffee filter. A coffee percolator, however, simplifies the entire process while also delivering a unique flavor to your beverage! Percolators are an excellent way to make hot coffee for large crowds – making them ideal for camping trips with family and friends.
Coffee percolators can be used over both gas campfires and in-ground campfires, making them an essential tool to take on a camping trip. They come in a variety of sizes, so no matter how many cups you need to make, there is a percolator to suit everyone’s needs. In this guide, we’ll explain the easy steps of how to use a coffee percolator while camping, as well as look at some of the best coffee percolators specific for camping.
Choosing the Right Coffee Percolator
When choosing which coffee percolator to buy for camping, the most fundamental thing that should be taken into consideration is the size, as this will ensure that you can make enough coffee in one go. Coffee percolators come in a wide variety of sizes, ranging from two cups to sixteen cups, so it’s important to get the one that best fits your needs.
Moreover, it’s beneficial to look for a percolator that is durable and lightweight: you don’t want your percolator to get damaged when taking part in outdoor activities, and lugging around a bulky, heavy one would defeat the purpose of camping! It’s wise to look for a coffee percolator made of cast iron or stainless steel, as these materials offer sturdy durability.
How to Use a Coffee Percolator When Camping
Once you’ve chosen the right kind of coffee percolator, it’s time to learn how to use it. Here are the steps to making perfect coffee with a percolator:
- Step One: Prepare the ingredients. You will need coffee, water, and a percolator.
- Step Two: Clean the percolator. After taking it out of storage, it’s important to properly clean the percolator before use. Fill the percolator with warm water and a swish of dish soap and let it sit for several minutes. Then, rinse the percolator with clean water.
- Step Three: Heat the water. Fill the percolator with water up to the desired level, and begin heating the percolator. Make sure to use a stable heat source that is easy to control. If you’re not sure what heat source is best for the situation, it is advisable to use a propane camp stove as they are easy to control and don’t require extra fuel. If you are using a campfire, be sure to use heavy-duty heat-resistant gloves and keep an eye on the temperature as it can change quickly.
- Step Four: Add the coffee. Once the water is hot, add the coarsely ground coffee to the top of the percolator. Be sure to match the amount of coffee with the amount of people that will be served, as the percolator is not designed to be refrigerated or reheated.
- Step Five: Give it some time. Now, wait approximately 10 minutes for the coffee to percolate. Once finished, your coffee will have a unique flavor and will be hot and inviting.
- Step Six: Enjoy your percolated coffee. Pour your freshly brewed coffee into a mug and start your outdoor adventure with a nice, hot cup of joe!
These are the steps to making coffee using a percolator while camping. Some campsites may come with a percolator for you to use, or it’s easy enough to bring a few extra pieces of camping equipment with you. It’s also wise to double check with the campsite if the use of a percolator is allowed, as some don’t (usually due to safety concerns).
Lastly, displaying proper safety behaviors while using a coffee percolator is a must. Make sure you know the dos and don’ts of coffee percolator camping before you even set up your equipment. Also, remember to never leave a hot percolator unattended for any length of time as fire damage can occur quickly.
As an experienced camper and father of three, I can attest to the pleasures of making coffee in a percolator over a campfire. Not only is it a great way to start a morning in the great outdoors, but it’s also super simple and easy if you follow the right steps.
While it’s not necessary to bring a percolator with you on every camping trip, having one can give each morning that much more character. With the right gear and knowledge, making coffee with a percolator while camping becomes a great morning activity for the whole family.