How to Safely Wash Clothes While Camping
Campsites are meant to be a place to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life, but that doesn’t mean you should forget about the necessary things. For a true camping experience, one needs to take into account basic laundry needs. Doing laundry while camping takes some planning, organization, and knowledge, but it can be done successfully with the right instructions. Here is a comprehensive guide on how to wash clothes while camping.
What Do You Need?
Before you start washing your clothes, it is important to have the necessary items to get the job done in an efficient manner. Here’s a brief list of some of the items you need:
- Soap or detergent
- Clothesline or drying rack
- Grip-friendly surface such as a towel or blanket
- Optional: sponges or scrubbing brush, vinegar,shampoo or oxyclean
Having the proper items on-hand will save you plenty of time, effort, and stress.
Step-by-Step Guide to Wash Clothes While Camping
Now that you have the proper items, you can clean your clothes while camping! Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do it:
- Lay out a towel or blanket on a flat surface.
- Fill the bucket with warm water and add the appropriate amount of soap or detergent.
- Let the items rest in the water for about 10 minutes.
- Use a sponge or scrub brush to scrub the items to remove dirt and stains.
- Rinse off the items with clean water. Let the items soak in the water for a few minutes.
- Squeeze the items out to remove excess water.
- Hang the items on the clothesline or clothes drying rack.
- Allow the items to dry completely in direct sunlight or in warm, dry condition.
This is the basic process of washing clothes while camping. However, there are some tips and tricks to make washing your clothes easier and more efficient.
Tips & Tricks for Washing Clothes while Camping
Here are some tips and tricks to make your laundry experience a breeze while camping:
- Pre-Treat Stains: It is important to pre-treat stubborn stains. Fill a bucket with warm water and add a spoonful of bleach or vinegar. Soak the stained items in the water for about five minutes before scrubbing and washing them.
- Sort Clothes: washing the clothes in a particular order will help ensure that all the items are clean. For example, gently scrub whites and pale colors first and then move on to darker colors. By following the proper order, you can rest assured that the water bucket remains clean and the colors don’t bleed onto the other garments.
- Air Drying Clothes: It is best to air dry clothes outdoors in direct sunlight or in a warm environment. This allows the garment to maintain its color and prevents them from fading due to prolonged exposure to moisture.
- Use Exfoliating Sponge: Use an exfoliating sponge or scrub brush to remove stubborn dirt and stains. A sponge helps to lift away dirt from the fabric’s fibers and is gentler on clothing than a scrub brush.
- Using Natural Detergents: Natural detergents such as shampoo and liquid soap are easy to find in stores and are gentle on fabrics. They also biodegradable, which is great for the environment.
- Using Oxygen-Based Bleach: Oxygen-based bleach helps to remove tough stains. Make sure to wear protective gloves when you’re working with oxygen-based bleach as it can easily irritate your skin.
Washing clothes while camping may seem like a daunting task, but with the proper tools and supplies, it can be done quickly and easily. With these tips and tricks in mind, you are all set for a successful laundry experience!
Letting Your Clothes Off Free & Clean
As a father of three and an experienced camper, I’ve had plenty of practice doing laundry while on the go. Keeping clothes clean and fresh is essential while camping but, with the right preparation and instructions, you can easily do so with success. My best advice is to plan ahead and sort through your clothing, organize your cleaning supplies and have a clear plan of action for the wash cycle. With these tips and tricks, you can enjoy a stress-free laundry experience while camping!
With these instructions and tips, you can easily wash clothes while camping and keep yourself fresh and clean. Make sure to follow the instructions closely and use the necessary tools and supplies to get the job done successfully. Happy camping!