A Comprehensive Guide To Washing Dishes While Camping
Camping is a great way to get away from it all and enjoy the outdoors. But one of the most important tasks of camping is washing dishes. Not everyone thinks about how to wash dishes while camping, but it is important to be aware of the basics. With some planning and the right supplies, washing dishes while camping can be a breeze. Here’s everything you need to know about how to do dishes while camping.
Plan Ahead for Washing Dishes While Camping
The key to washing dishes while camping is being prepared before you head out. When you’re packing for a camping trip, make sure you have all the supplies you will need for washing dishes. Here are some must-have items:
- Biodegradable soap: Biodegradable soap is important because it won’t harm the environment.
- Sponge: A small sponge is helpful for scrubbing away stuck-on food.
- Scrub brush: A scrub brush will help get all those tough-to-clean dishes clean.
- Towel: A towel or cloth is essential for drying dishes.
- Water bottle: Make sure to bring enough water for washing and rinsing.
- Wash basin: A wash basin makes it easy to contain all the dirty dishes.
Where and How to Wash Dishes While Camping?
The location of where you wash dishes is important to consider. You want to make sure the area is far enough away from water sources, like lakes or streams, so you don’t contaminate the water with soap. It’s also best to stay away from established campgrounds, as other campers will not appreciate your dish-washing area.
Once you’ve selected the best spot for doing dishes, set up your dishwashing area. Place your wash basin on a flat surface, like a picnic table or log, and fill it with warm water. Place all your supplies within reach of the basin. Then, you’re ready to get started!
Step-by-Step Guide to Washing Dishes While Camping
Now that you’re all set up, here’s a step-by-step guide on how to wash dishes while camping:
- Empty any food scraps from your dishes into a garbage bag.
- Arrange your dishes in the sink. Start with the least dirty dishes first, and move on to the dirtier ones.
- Add a dollop of biodegradable soap to the dish basin.
- Scrub the dishes with the sponge or brush. Make sure all the surfaces are thoroughly cleaned.
- Rinse the dishes with fresh water. Change out the water if it starts to look too soapy.
- Dry the dishes with a towel. Make sure they are completely dry before packing them away.
When you’re finished washing dishes, make sure you never leave any dirty water or soap behind. Dispose of it in a container and pack it away with the rest of your trash when you leave. Additionally, you should never pour soapy water into a stream or lake; this can damage the local flora and fauna.
Tips & Tricks For Camping Dish-washing
Washing dishes while camping can be a hassle, but there are some tips and tricks to make it easier. Here are a few things to keep in mind when doing dishes while camping:
- Clean dishes as soon as possible: This will make it easier to get all the food off the dishes before it dries.
- Use pre-rinsed dishes: Pre-rinsing dishes before putting them in the sink will save you time washing dishes.
- Bring biodegradable wipes: If you don’t want to get a wet brush or sponge, biodegradable wipes are a great alternative.
- Use a portable dish rack: If you don’t have a flat surface, a portable dish rack can be a lifesaver when it comes to doing dishes while camping.
- Scrape off food scraps first: Scraping off any food scraps before washing the dishes will make the washing process go faster.
If you’re camp cooking, it’s especially important to clean your dishes properly. Grease and food scraps can attract all sorts of animals to your campsite if not disposed of properly. That’s why it’s important to use biodegradable soap and never leave behind soapy water.
Keeping dishes clean while camping is an important priority, but the task doesn’t have to be daunting. All you need is a little bit of planning and preparation. With the tips and tricks in this article, you’ll be confidently washing dishes while camping in no time!