Itching to explore the great outdoors? Experienced campers will agree that no matter what part of the UK you plan to camp in, there is a checklist of essential items you will need to bring with you to make your trip a success!
For parents, this list can seem daunting, but with a few helpful tips, you can create a foolproof camping plan. Whether you are visiting miles of countryside or a coastal retreat, experienced camper and father of three, Jack Johnson, is here to share his knowledge.
To make sure your camping trip is a successful one, here is a checklist of what to take camping UK:
Essential Camping Gear for UK Trips
Setting up a safe and comfortable campsite is the most important task when camping in the UK, and this is where the right gear can come in handy. There are some essentials which will need to be at the top of your list when planning what to take camping UK:
- Tent – a good quality tent is essential for a comfortable and dry campsite in the UK. Waterproofing products should be used as well in case of rain.
- Sleeping bags – a decent sleeping bag is essential to keep you warm and comfortable. Choose a good quality sleeping bag to ensure quality- and cosy- sleep throughout your trip!
- Air Mattress – a comfortable air mattress is the best way to ensure a good night’s sleep. Be sure to inflate your air mattress beforehand, as this can be difficult in the middle of the night.
- Lantern – a reliable source of light is essential when camping in the UK. A small, battery-powered lantern is easy to give you light and security if you go out late at night.
- Coleman stove – the Coleman stove is reliable, efficient and lightweight. The most versatile way to cook when camping in the UK, Coleman stoves can be used for boiling, cooking and baking.
- Camping chairs – having the right camping chairs is essential for comfort and relaxation. Folding camping chairs are lightweight and portable, making them ideal for a camping trip.
- Icebox – a cooler is invaluable when camping in the UK. Invest in a good quality icebox to keep food and drinks cold.
- First Aid Kit – this is a must-have item when camping in the UK. Make sure you have a basic first aid kit which includes bandages and disinfectants.
Clothing & Footwear for Camping in the UK
The clothing and footwear you will need to bring with you when camping in the UK depends largely on the season and weather. In general, you should bring at least one set of long, weatherproof clothing. A lightweight waterproof jacket is always a good idea, as are layers of easy to remove and store items such as fleece jackets, scarves and hats.
In terms of footwear, you should wear sturdy shoes or hiking boots that are waterproof and comfortable. Be sure to also bring an extra pair of shoes and some thick socks in case your boots get wet. It is also important to note that some campsites may require closed-toe shoes when walking around.
Activities & Entertainment for Camping in the UK
There is always the possibility of bad weather when camping in the UK, so it is essential to bring some activities and entertainment to keep everyone busy. Board games, books, and card games are excellent options, as these can be packed away quickly if necessary. Other fun activities include nature walks, rock-climbing, fishing, and star-gazing.
For entertainment, bring along a Bluetooth speaker to enjoy some music, as well as a laptop or tablet for watching movies or playing games. If you have access to wifi, you can even use it to watch your favorite TV shows. This stops everyone getting bored if the weather turns bad. You can also take a look at our guide to fun activities while camping in the UK for some more ideas.
Kitchen Essentials for Camping in the UK
No matter where you decide to camp, it is essential to bring along the right kitchen gear and supplies. A few basic utensils and an oven can make all the difference when it comes to preparing food on a camping trip.
In your party you should have at least one pot and pan for cooking, a cutting board, a knife, an oven, plates, bowls, cups, eating and cooking utensils, and even zip lock bags. To save on space, these items can be packed together in stacking, collapsible containers.
Other Necessities for Camping in the UK
While this list is not exhaustive, there are a few other items that are also useful to bring when camping in the UK. Some of these include:
- Toiletries and personal hygiene items
- Disinfectant and cleaning supplies
- Plenty of water and snacks
- Bug spray
- Polarised sunglasses
- Swimming gear
- Camping chairs
- A hammock
- Matches and a lighter
No matter where you decide to camp, it is essential to make sure you have all the required items to make your trip a successful and enjoyable one. The items listed in this guide provide a broad overview of what to take camping UK, but be sure to tailor your list to the season and weather conditions to ensure a safe and comfortable stay in the great outdoors.
Don’t forget to check out our camping resources for more ideas and tips! Also, take a look at this useful video from our team on the Do’s and Don’ts of camping in the UK.
For more camping inspiration, take a look at our recommendations page, and use this WordPress shortcode for tailored results: