Go Camping With Your Motorcycle: The Essential Packing List
Camping with your motorcycle is an exciting adventure that can take you across different states and through diverse terrain – but only if you’re prepared. Whether you’re an experienced camper or a first-time adventurer, being organized and well-stocked is the key to an enjoyable camping trip. With my three kids and extensive camping background, I’ve gathered together the must-have items for a successful motorcycle camping experience.
Essential Motorcycle Camping Gear
At its most basic, there are three crucial elements to a successful motorcycle camping trip: riding gear, camping gear, and the bike itself. A few must-have items in each category include:
- Properly fitted motorcycle boots and helmet
- Weather-appropriate protective motorcycle clothing
- Protective glasses and gloves
- Tent, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad
- Cooking supplies such as a camp stove, fuel, matches, and cooking utensils
- Water storage containers and a water filter, if necessary
- First-aid kit with necessary medicines
- Firewood, if allowed
- Comprehensive tool kit
- Tire repair supplies and spare parts
- Motorcycle-specific luggage
- Locking device (i.e., motorcycle alarm or cable lock)
Additional Motorcycle Camping Items to Consider
Besides the items listed above, there are many additional pieces of equipment that can simplify and enhance your riding and camping experience. Depending on the route you plan to take, the type of terrain, and the length of your trip, you may want to consider bringing the following items:
- Maps and a GPS, if available
- Navigation tools (i.e., compass, binoculars, or solar charger)
- Weatherproof bag in case of inclement weather
- Spare oil and fuel in case of emergency
- Camping furniture and additional accessories (i.e., camp chairs, tarp, lanterns)
- Toiletries and personal items (i.e., sunscreen, insect repellent, flashlight, matches, soap, etc.)
Organization and Prepping for Motorcycle Camping
In addition to the items listed above, the key to a successful motorcycle camping trip is organization. After you have gathered all of the essential items, it’s important to prep your gear and think ahead. Here are a few tips to keep in mind before you embark on your journey:
- Pack lightly. Maximize your bike’s capacity by selecting items that are lightweight and multi-use.
- Invest in protective and dry storage products to minimize the risk of your gear being exposed to the weather.
- Plan for meals ahead of time and no-cook meal options in case of emergency.
- Research the area where you’ll be camping and any permits required for camping in the area.
- Decide on a storage location for your campsite during the day.
- Check the expected weather to make sure you’re prepared for all types of conditions.
To get an in-depth, visual look at how to prepare for a successful motorcycle camping trip, watch this helpful video below from professional rider and YouTube creator J. Wixson:
Whether you’re a first-time rider or an experienced camper, motorcycles can be a great option for those seeking adventure. But before you hit the open road, make sure you have the essential items needed for a successful camping experience. Now, go explore the world on two wheels!