Everything You Need to Know About Choosing the Right Camping List
With summer nearly upon us, it’s time to start ticking off all the camping gear that you’ll need on your camping holiday. From the crucial items like camping tents and sleeping mats, to the less obvious items like a hatchet for making kindling and a basket for carrying firewood, a well-prepared camping list can make the difference between a fun trip and a disaster. With three kids and having camped plenty of times in the past, I’d like to share my knowledge and experience with all you campers out there!
What to Take Camping
With a seemingly endless list of items to bring camping, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. To help get you started, here’s a comprehensive breakdown of important products broken down into different categories.
- Tent: Choose a tent that is appropriate for the number of people and the environment. Make sure it is well ventilated.
- Rainfly & Stakes: A good rainfly and the right stake will keep you safe and secure no matter the weather.
- Mattress & Pillow: A good night’s sleep is essential for a happy camping trip, so choose mattress and pillow that are comfortable and waterproof.
- Cooking Equipment: Invest in durable quality cookware and utensils for cooking.
- Cooler: A good disposable cooler or an insulated cooler will keep food cold and safe.
- Tarp: Tarps can be used for a number of reasons including providing extra protection from the sun and rain.
- Backpacks, Duffel Bags, and Trash Bags: Transporting your gear to the campsite and keeping it secure is important!
Clothing & Accessories
- Fleece or Down Jacket: When camping, bring clothes that can be layered for extra warmth.
- Closed-Toe Shoes: Depending on the terrain, pack closed-toe shoes for maximum protection against the terrain.
- Hat: A brimmed hat can provide protection from the sun and wet weather.
- Sunscreen & Insect Repellent: Protecting yourself from sunburn and insect bites can make the camping experience more enjoyable.
- Gloves & Rain Jacket: Keep your hands warm with gloves, and your body dry with a good rain jacket.
- Toiletries: Bring a good camping toiletries kit to have all your essentials ready for the trip.
- Axe or Knife: An axe for making kindling is a must, and you may need a knife for certain tasks.
- Fire Starter & Firewood: A fire starter kit is essential for starting a campfire and having enough firewood is always a plus.
- Camp Games & Entertainment: Bringing a few fun games and entertainment will make your camping trip even better.
- Personal Hygiene Supplies: Hand sanitizer, wet wipes, and a small camping shower kit (just in case!)
- First Aid Kit: Having a well-stocked first aid kit is always a good idea.
- Maps & Flashlight: If you plan to do any exploring, bring a large paper map as well as a flashlight and extra batteries.
Important Tips for Packing
Here are a few valuable tips for packing your gear to make sure your camping list is complete and well organized:
- Make a list: Start by making a master list of everything you’ll need, and then break it down into categories for easier packing.
- Organize your supplies: Put like items together in their own zip-lock bags or containers, so you don’t have to dig through scattered items when you need to find something.
- Distribute the weight: Load heavier items like tents and sleeping bags at the bottom and lighter items like clothes at the top to make carrying easier.
- Be mindful of the weather: Be sure to check the weather forecast before leaving and plan accordingly.
Check out this helpful video on how to pack your gear for the perfect camping trip.
A well-prepared camping list can make the difference between a joyous outdoor experience and an endless nightmare. With these tips, you’ll be sure to make the most out of your upcoming camping trip.