The Ultimate Guide To Safely Storing Your Camping Gear
It’s summertime again, which means getting outside and exploring nature with your family. Whether it’s a one-day camping trip or a more extended stay outdoors, having the right camping gear can make all the difference – but having the right storage for it can be just as important. Knowing how to store your camping gear correctly ensures it’s out of the way in between trips, while still being organized and easy to access at a moment’s notice. That’s why, in this guide, we’ll walk you through the best ways to store camping gear so that you’re ready for your next outdoor adventure.
Why It’s Important To Store Camping Gear Properly
As an experienced camper and a father of three, I’ve realized how important it is to store camping gear properly. Not only does it help keep smaller items like flashlights and multi-tools organized and easy to locate, but it can also help extend the life of the gear. Proper storage can reduce damage from unnecessary wear and tear, plus it can prevent items from becoming soiled or contaminated by the elements.
Properly stored camping gear will save time, money, and stress when it comes to packing for your next trip. Whether you keep it all in one place or divvy it up among several areas of your home, the result is the same: everything you need is accounted for and organized. Plus, the more organized you are now, the easier it will be to get ready for your next outdoor trip.
Essential Items For Storing Camping Gear
There are a few essential items you need for proper camping gear storage. Depending on the size and bulk of your camping gear, some items will come in handy more than others. Here are some of the must-have items for storing camping gear.
- Storage Containers. Whether you opt for plastic or fabric containers, having one or more is essential. Compact camping gear can fit easily into sealable containers, while larger items like tents or sleeping bags should be kept in bags or bins. If you’re using large storage containers, you’ll want to make sure they’re labeled so you know what’s inside at a glance.
- Hangers. If possible, hanging bulky items like backpacks and sleeping bags is the ideal solution. This frees up floor space and helps to extend the life of the item by protecting it from dirt, dust, and other elements.
- Shelves. Shelves are an excellent storage solution for items that do not require hangers, like utensils, flashlights, and small items of clothing.
Tips for Storing Camping Gear
Once you’ve got your camping gear storage set up, there are a few tips to keep in mind to make sure everything stays organized and easy to access. Make sure to clean everything after each trip and check items for damage, then store them in the right place for ease of use. Here are a few tips for camping gear storage you should consider:
- Store items where and how they will be used. For example, tools and utensils should be kept on shelves or in separate containers somewhere easily accessible, while tents and sleeping bags should be hung up or stored in a closet.
- Label items when necessary. That way, if you have multiple camping trips planned, you’ll be able to quickly determine which items are for which trip.
- Place items in a cool, dry area whenever possible. This will prevent them from getting damaged or ruined from wet or humid environments.
- Store items so that they are easy to find. A common mistake is to store gear in random spots, which can lead to confusion and lost items when packing for your next camping trip.
How To Organize Camping Gear & Other Tips
Organizing your camping gear can be tricky with all the different items and sizes, so here are some helpful tips for keeping things tidy and organized.
- Group and categorize items based on their function or size. For example, items like cookware, utensils, and flashlights can be kept together in one container.
- Make use of pegboards and pegboard accessories to create a customized organization system.
- If space is an issue, look for collapsible or stackable containers that can be tucked away when not in use.
- Invest in quality bags or containers. Durable and weatherproof containers or bags can help protect your items from the elements.
The Takeaway: How To Store Camping Gear
Storing camping gear correctly is key to making sure your next outdoor adventure goes off without a hitch. Having the right storage containers, labels, and organization system can help save precious time and money in the long run. Whether it’s a one-day camping trip or a more extended stay outdoors, it’s important to make sure you’re properly storing your camping gear. With the right knowledge and accessories, you’ll be ready for your next outdoor adventure in no time.
It doesn’t have to be difficult or complicated to store your camping gear. With the right supplies, a few organizational skills, and the tips outlined in this guide, you’ll be well on your way to safe, effective gear storage and an unforgettable camping experience.