Best Camping Fridges: A Buyer’s Guide for Stress-Free Camping
For those with kids and an adventurous spirit, camping trips can be some of the most rewarding experiences. You get to enjoy being one with nature without sacrificing your creature comforts. But in order to keep all your food and drinks fresh and tasty, you will need the best camping fridge possible.
Traditionally, campers have had to make do with a cooler box and augment the cooling system by adding some ice. But these days, advancements in technology have given us a whole host of camping fridge options that make it easy to keep essential food and drinks cool and safe during the camping trip. This guide will help you understand what you need to know before you buy the best camping fridge for your needs.
Types of Camping Fridges
There are two main types of camping fridges – compressor and absorption fridges. Compressor fridges are the more traditional type and are powered by 12V electricity – either from the car battery or solar power. These fridges are energy-intensive and can be quite expensive, but they are excellent at maintaining low temperatures, even in extremely hot climates.
Absorption fridges, on the other hand, run off either gas or camping electricity. They are quieter, lighter and cheaper than compressor fridges but don’t cool as efficiently. They are perfect for mild climates and don’t consume too much electric power.
Features to Consider When Buying the Best Camping Fridge
Whether you choose a compressor or absorption fridge, there are some essential features you should consider before making your choice:
- Size & Weight: A camping fridge needs to be small enough to fit in your vehicle and light enough to carry. The larger the fridge, the more expensive it is likely to be.
- Cooling Capacity & Range: When it comes to keeping food and drinks cool, you want a model that offers a wide temperature range and can maintain a consistent temperature. The higher your fridge’s cooling capacity, the better it can match the temperature of your food and drinks.
- Usability: Choose a fridge with easy-to-use controls and a good interior design to make it easier to store food and drinks.
- Durability: Evaluate how well-made your fridge is, and make sure it can withstand rough handling. If you plan to drive a rough terrain, look for one with a shockproof design.
- Power Source: Make sure you have the power source to match your camping fridge. There are a few options such as car batteries, solar panels, and mains power.
Now that you understand the features to look out for, here’s an overview of the best camping fridges available in the market:
Top 3 Best Camping Fridges
There are so many great camping fridges out there, but these 3 models definitely stand out from the rest.
The Waeco CFX40W is a high-end compressor-powered camping fridge. It has a 39-litre capacity and dual temperature zones, so you can have easily divided sections in the same fridge. It also comes with Wi-Fi capability, so you can control and monitor your temperature remotely. It also offers two charging points, so you can keep your phones and other gadgets charged even when you’re in your car.
The Engel SR48F is an absorption-based camping fridge with a large 46-litre capacity. It has a digital thermometer so you can easily adjust the temperature according to your needs. It also includes an automatic interior light for ease of access. This model runs on gas and 12V electricity, making it a great energy-efficient solution.
The Dometic CK40 is a premium compressor-powered camping fridge with a 38-litre capacity and a reliable cooling system. It offers precise temperature control and even comes with a built-in storage box for your convenience. It’s lightweight and features an easy-to-use control panel, making it a great choice for beginner campers.
Choosing the Best Camping Fridge to Meet Your Camping Needs
Choosing the best camping fridge isn’t an exact science, but with the right information, you can be sure to pick a great model that suits your needs. Consider factors such as size, cooling capacity, power source and usability when making your decision. With the right camping fridge, you can be sure to keep your food and drinks perfectly cool and fresh throughout the entire camping trip.