Power On: How To Get Power When Camping
Camping is all about immersion in nature – a time to unplug and relax. But a few creature comforts are still wanted now and then, which is why you need to know how to get power when camping. Generators, solar energy, and other inventive ways can provide you with the power you need. As an experienced camper and father of three, I’ve compiled this comprehensive guide on the numerous ways to get power while camping.
The most common way to power devices while camping is via generators. Powered by either gasoline or diesel, generators are efficient and dependable and can run most of any electronic device you will need to use. Generators are relatively simple to use and can be picked up from any outdoor supply shop. Before buying one, make sure that the generator you choose can handle the wattage you are looking for.
Safety Tips With Generators
- Never operate generators in a tent or enclosed space
- Be sure to keep generators and fuel well away from any open flames
- Be sure to use the types of fuel specified in the instructions
- Refuel generators outdoors and in a well-ventilated area
Generators are great to have on hand at any camping trip, but if you want something more eco-friendly, then solar energy systems are worth considering.
Solar Energy Systems
Solar energy systems are a great option for those who want to go green while they camp. The main advantage of solar energy systems is that you can be powered with the cleanest, most efficient energy source there is – the sun. Solar energy systems come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and prices ranging from small portable charging units to full-fledged solar panel systems. The best solar energy system for each individual will depend on what the camper wants to power and how long they will be camping.
Using Solar Energy Systems
- Make sure you only use high-quality solar panels to get the most out of your system.
- Keep solar panels away from shade, and if possible, face them south-west.
- Get a solar charge controller to ensure you don’t overload your batteries.
- Ensure that your batteries are made for deep cycle use.
Another inventive way of getting power when camping is to use a power station.
Power stations are relatively new pieces of equipment that work by turning your car battery into a power hub. They are a great way to get power when camping or even away from your car, and they are extremely versatile. You can use your power station to power any device that uses DC voltage, and some even feature universal AC outlets for powering devices such as laptops.
Instructions for Operating a Power Station
- Be sure to read the instructions that come with the power station before using it.
- Test the connections from your car to the power station, as loose connections can be dangerous.
- Be sure to invest in high-quality extension cables.
- Always wear safety equipment when working on a power station.
Having power when camping is relatively easy to do these days with all the options available. Solar energy systems, generators, and power stations are all viable sources of power that make the camping experience even more comfortable and enjoyable.
With the right equipment and a bit of know-how, you can be sure to have an enjoyable and safe time out in the wilderness. To learn more, check out the video below for great tips on using a generator while camping.
No matter which method you choose, make sure you know how to safely operate all of your equipment. With this guide as a resource, you’ll be prepared to power up your camping trip with ease.