How to Keep Mosquitoes Away While Camping
Nothing puts a dampener on a camping trip quite like being cheek to jowl with mosquitoes, but you don’t have to resign yourself to multiple insect bites before packing up and heading home. There are lots of ways to keep mosquitoes at bay while you’re out in nature – from natural repellents to gadgets and traps. As a camper and father of three, I have been using these tips for years, so I can confidently vouch for their effectiveness!
Mosquito Repellent Alternatives
The most common method for keeping mosquitoes away is to apply mosquito repellent, but some people don’t want to put some of the harsh chemicals found in the store-bought repellents on their skin. Thankfully, there are ways to repel mosquitoes without using chemicals. One natural approach is to make herbal vinegar or drying oil, both of which can be made at home with common ingredients.
- Herbal vinegar is a simple concoction made from white vinegar, lavender, lemon balm, lemon thyme, and citrus peels. Just fill a bottle with the ingredients and let it steep for a few weeks before storing it with a spray top and use it to coat yourself and your clothing.
- Drying oil is a mix of apple cider vinegar, rubbing alcohol, and your choice of essential oils. It’s best applied to clothing and works by creating an environment that is inhospitable to mosquitoes.
Gadgets & Traps to Combat Mosquitoes
If natural alternatives aren’t your style, there are some great gadgets and traps you can use to battle the bugs. It helps to have a game plan for keeping mosquitoes away so that you can enjoy the outdoors without worrying about bites. Here are a few things to consider:
- Mosquito Repellent Bracelets: To make it simple to take natural insect repellent everywhere you go, try using a mosquito repellent bracelet. You can buy ones with pellets made from natural oils and herbs, or make your own by placing a few drops of essential oil on a cotton ball and tie it around your wrist before heading out.
- Screened Areas: If you’re camping in a spot where open air tents aren’t available, it can be a good idea to create a screened area from netting or cloth. A screened area can also be helpful in the evenings when mosquitoes are most active.
- Mosquito Traps: If you have an area that’s especially prone to mosquitoes, consider purchasing a mosquito trap. These are electronic devices that attract mosquitoes and then trap them before they can bite.
The key to success when combatting mosquitoes is to remember that they can be found just about anywhere, so it’s important to take all the necessary precautions to keep them away. Use the tips listed above to keep the bugs away and enjoy your outdoor adventures!
The video above provides an easy to follow tutorial on how to make and use herbal vinegar and drying oil for camping situations. Now that you’re armed with some natural and gadget-based solutions, you can rest assured that your camping experience won’t be ruined by pesky mosquitos!
Mosquitoes are a pesky problem while camping, but they don’t have to ruin your fun. With the right natural and gadget-based solutions, you can keep them away and enjoy your trip. Whether you opt for herbal vinegar, drying oil, traps, or something else, you can prevent yourself from becoming a snack while out in the wild!