What Not To Forget When Camping: A Guide For Smart Campers
Camping is an age-old tradition and a favorite pastime of countless outdoor loving families. With the right preparation, camping is a great way to get some fresh air, relax, reconnect with nature, and most importantly, make some amazing memories. But let’s face it – there are so many things that you can forget to pack in the flurry of getting ready to go camping. To spare you the heartache of missing essential items, here is a guide with a comprehensive list of what not to forget when camping.
Essential Camping Gear
Now that you’ve decided to go camping, the first step is gathering the right camping gear. You probably already have some of these camping items lying around, and if not, no worries. They are all easily available for purchase. Here is a quick checklist of camping items you must not forget to pack:
- Tent: Choose the right tent size and shape to accommodate you and your family. Make sure it’s made from high-quality waterproof material to keep you dry and comfortable in bad weather.
- Sleeping Gear: Don’t forget your sleeping bags, sleeping pads, or inflatable mattresses, and pillows.
- Cooking Gear: You’ll need basic essentials like cookware, utensils, plates, and cups.
- Lighting Sources: Bring along a flashlight, headlamp, camping lantern, and some extra batteries.
- Camping Furniture: Set of folding chairs, a foldable table, and a multi-purpose pocket knife.
- First-aid Kit: Make sure to include basic items like band-aids, gauze, bandages, and antiseptic wipes.
As avid campers ourselves, we’ll vouch for the fact that these camping items should be packed regardless of the kind of camping you are doing – car camping, RV camping, backpacking, or canoe camping.
Camping Clothes and Accessories
Apart from the camping basics, there are some essential camping clothes and accessories you also must not forget to bring along.
- Clothes: Make sure to pack some comfortable and breathable outdoor clothing like t-shirts, pants, shorts, and a waterproof jacket. Also, don’t forget warm layers for the night and in case the temperature drops.
- Footwear: We cannot stress how important the right footwear is. A pair of comfortable trainers should do for most day trips. However, if you are planning on going trekking, you will need some waterproof and lightweight hiking boots.
- Hats and Sunnies: Hats to protect you from the sun and a pair of good sunglasses should make it to your camping list.
- Toiletries: Bring along the necessary hygienic items like a pack of baby wipes, soap, shampoo, and a towel.
- Water Supply: You will find it difficult to survive a camping trip without a ready supply of clean drinking water. Hence, make sure to invest in some trustable water containers.
- Bug Spray: A must-have during the summer months – insect repellent to prevent mosquito bites.
Don’t forget to consider the climate when packing clothes and accessories. Also, it’s important to be conscious of the amount of items and weight you add to your camping bag.
Camping Activities and Gear
A camping trip is best enjoyed when there are activities to keep you entertained. Here are some camping activities to pick from and the corresponding items you would need for each.
- Fishing: Fishing rod, tackle box, bait, knot-tying tool, and a tackle scale.
- Hiking: Carry a sturdy backpack, an emergency kit, a map, and don’t forget your digital camera.
- Boating: Fishing rod, inflatable boat, life jacket, an oar, and a whistle.
- Playing Sports: Football, frisbee, badminton, volleyball, and basketball.
- Campfire: Matches, tinder, and firewood.
You can also check out some tutorials on camping activities such as starting a campfire or pitching a tent by clicking this link.
Don’t forget to add some fun stuff to your camping bag! Comfort items like a deck of cards, books, and board games will be fun for the campsite and the car ride. While packing the above camping items, also remember the following items:
- Garbage Bags: These are essential to ensure you leave a clean campsite.
- Tools: Rope and duct tape are essential for repair work, building structures, and hanging items.
- Compass and Maps: Important if you plan on exploring the area and keeping track of your journey.
- Sealable Containers: To store leftovers, spices, sauces, condiments, and snacks.
These are all the camping items we could think of which you need to not forget. We would advise you to make a personalized checklist to ensure you don’t miss out on any camping essentials. This will save your time, energy, and ensure you have a safe, comfortable, and enjoyable camping experience.