The Ultimate Guide to What to Cook at Camping
When heading out for a camping trip, one of the most crucial aspects is deciding what to cook and eat during the stay. Camping food can sometimes be simple and straightforward, especially for smaller trips. But, for longer trips, creating a comprehensive meal plan and grocery list is an absolute must. As an experienced camper and a father of three, I understand the challenge of feeding your family healthy meals on a camping trip. I’ve compiled this ultimate guide containing meal ideas for every type of camping trip, useful packing tips, and advice on where to find healthy ingredients.
Types of Camping Trips and Meal Ideas
When deciding what to cook and pack for your upcoming camping trip, you’ll want to consider the length of the trip and the types of camping you’re planning on doing. Here’s a few of the most common types of camping trips and some meal ideas for each.
- Sandwiches & Wraps
- Fresh Fruits & Veggies
- Salads & Dips
- Trail Mix & Granola Bars
- Instant Oatmeal
- Pouches of Tuna
- Protein & Granola Bars
- Freeze-Dried Meals
Weekend Camping Trip
- Scrambled Eggs & Toast
- Pancakes & Bacon
- Pasta & Marinara Sauce
- Hot Dogs & Baked Beans
- Grilled Veggie Skewers & Chicken
- Taco Bowls or Wraps
- Foil Wrapped Fish & Potatoes
- Italian Casseroles
Tips for Packing and Shopping for Camping Food
There are many ways you can make your camping experience more enjoyable by making sure you’ve packed smart and easy meals. Here are some tips for packing and shopping for camping meals so that you can make the most of your trip.
- Bring along perishable food items in a cooler or insulated bag to keep items fresh.
- Choose non-perishable, lightweight items that don’t take up a lot of space in your bag.
- Shop for items that can serve multiple meals throughout the trip.
- Opt for easy-to-cook or no-cook items such as sandwiches, granola bars, fruits, and trail mix.
- Choose items that can easily be prepared on a campfire. Some fabulous campfire meal ideas include tacos, stir-fry, foil-wrapped potatoes, and foil-wrapped fruit. Check out this video to find out how to make these delicious dishes!
Where to Find Healthy and Organic Ingredients
Shopping for healthy ingredients can be a challenge when camping, especially if you’re not sure what stores are nearby. Fortunately, there are plenty of online stores and local farms that offer a wide variety of organic and all-natural foods. Here’s a few resources you can use when shopping for camping food:
- Local farms – Many nearby farms offer organic produce and other items that can be purchased at a local farmers market or at the farm itself.
- Online stores – Many online stores such as Amazon have a wide variety of all-natural ingredients, freeze-dried meals, and packaged snacks that can be delivered right to your door.
- Camping stores – Many camping stores carry specifically designed items such as freeze dried meals, instant oatmeal, and protein bars, which are perfect for camping trips.
Planning meals for a camping trip doesn’t have to be difficult. With the right resources and knowledge, you can easily create a meal plan that’s healthy and sustainable. To get started, focus on the type of camping you’re doing, and the length of your trip. Then, make sure to pack plenty of non-perishable and lightweight items that don’t take up too much space in your bag. Finally, explore local farms and stores for organic ingredients that you may not be able to find online. Use these tips, and with a bit of creativity, you’ll be able to create tasty campfire meals that your whole family will enjoy!