Make a Candle Lantern for Camping: A Step-by-Step Guide
Lighting the way on hikes, camping trips, and outdoor nighttime excursions just got a lot easier. With a little time and creative know-how, you can create a handy lantern to join you and your crew for some outdoor fun. Here is how to make a candle lantern for camping.
As a father of three kids and an experienced camper, I can attest to the importance of always having a reliable light source available in the outdoors. Nothing ruins a camping trip faster than being left in the dark, and a candle lantern perfects for times when you need a little extra light. Making these lanterns is a fun and simple project that can take as little as 30 minutes or less. And once you have your own camping lantern on hand, you can easily share them with your kids for some additional fun in the dark.
- Coffee Can or Tin Can
- Short Candle
- Wire (25 gauge)
- Cross Wire Cutters
- Rope (18 inches)
Before you get started, ensure you have all of the necessary materials on hand, as well as access to a lighter.
- Remove the lid of the coffee can or tin can and set aside.
- Place the short candle in the bottom of the can.
- Take a small section of wire with cross wire cutters, then shape it into an X shape and press into the top of the can.
- Surround the candle with a small circle of wire.
- Attach a length of rope to the wire X by looping it around the wire and knotting it.
- Light the candle with a match or lighter and place the lid on the coffee can or tin can.
- Secure the lid in place with the rope.
- Carry your homemade candle lantern on your next camping trip by looping the rope around a stick or carrying it in a bag.
And there you have it – an easy-to-make candle lantern for camping. With just a few simple steps, you have created yourself a lightweight and affordable light source for your next outdoor excursion.
Important Safety Tips
But before you hit the trail with your new camping lantern, here are a few essential safety tips to bear in mind:
- Never leave a candle lantern unattended, and blow it out after use.
- Keep all flammable materials away from the fire.
- Never light a candle lantern near loose objects or fabrics.
- Always store a candle lantern out of reach from children and pets.
- Never light a candle lantern in an enclosed space.
Now that you know how to make a candle lantern for camping, you can always keep your sightseeing trips well lit and illuminated. Crafting your own camping lantern is also a great activity for adults and kids alike. So make sure to keep all of the necessary materials on hand to ensure a safe and enjoyable outdoor experience.
To find additional materials and ideas for your candle lantern for camping, . Be sure to check out Camp Kulin’s online store for the supplies you need. Plus there’s plenty of other camping gear for whenever you feel the urge to take a trip outdoors.